Mystery Case Files: The Countess Collector's Edition
November 21, 2018
3 Difficulties + Custom Mode
Exclusive Bonus Chapter
Integrated Strategy Guide
Wallpapers & Cutscenes
Soundtracks & Concept Art
Replayable HOs & Puzzles
Achievements & Collectibles
Case Files & Morphing Objects
The Queen has reached out to the Master Detective for help when her dear friend Lady Eleanor Codington has gone missing only weeks after she reclaimed her family estate against her father’s will. Discover the dark history of the estate as you face The Countess in this latest Mystery Case Files installment!
Mystery Case Files returns to its signature form after a slight detour with the previous installment, Rewind. However, unlike most of the better Mystery Case Files sequels, The Countess feels a little lacking in the story department. The main plot revolves around the familiar haunted house theme and although there are some intriguing thriller elements, there is still not enough depth and layers to the storyline – the level that is expected from a Mystery Case Files game.
That being said, Eipix still delivers in terms of sights and sounds. They did a decent job in creating an eerie atmosphere through a prominent horror vibe and intricate scene design. The sounds are also especially good in this game. The background music is epic and effectively enhances the suspense factor, while the voice-overs are true to the characters.
Mystery Case Files: The Countess might not be the most challenging game in the series, but that does not mean that it is not enjoyable. The gameplay is professionally crafted, regardless of the abundance of cookie-cutter HOPA tropes. The puzzles remain a highlight in the game, with impressive difficulty level and clever twists that often tie into the storyline. In addition, long-time Mystery Case Files fans would not be disappointed by the so-called Super Puzzles, that are as engaging and as creative as ever.
I blasted through Mystery Case Files: The Countess in one sitting, which took me roughly four hours. The Collector’s Edition includes all the standard flair; a strategy guide, wallpapers, concept art, videos, soundtracks, replayable hidden object scenes, repayable puzzles, achievements, collectibles, and morphing objects.
Mystery Case Files: The Countess is an exciting haunted house adventure, even though it is missing the kind of complexity and sinister undertones that the series was known for.
In this series:
- Mystery Case Files: Huntsville
- Mystery Case Files: Prime Suspects
- Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst
- Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate
- Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst
- Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove
- Mystery Case Files: 13th Skull
- Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst
- Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake
- Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival
- Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove
- Mystery Case Files: Key to Ravenhearst
- Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst Unlocked
- Mystery Case Files: Broken Hour
- Mystery Case Files: The Black Veil
- Mystery Case Files: The Revenant's Hunt
- Mystery Case Files: Rewind
- Mystery Case Files: The Countess
- Mystery Case Files: Moths to a Flame
- Mystery Case Files: Black Crown
- Mystery Case Files: The Harbinger